Monday, April 11, 2011

Sausage Pepper Jack Scones

This recipe is from my friend Debra at Debra's Kitchen. She does some great catering work and can be found on the Square in Liberty during the summer at the market.

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 ½ cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1 pound sausage, cooked (I use half regular and half spicy)
¾ to 1 ½ cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 400. In the mixer, combine the flour, baking powder and salt on low speed. With the mixer running, gradually add the cubes of butter until the mixture is crumbly and studded with flour-butter bits about the size of small peas. Add the cheese and mix just until blended.

Add the sausage and ¾ cup of the buttermilk to the flour and cheese mixture. Mix by hand just until all the ingredients are incorporated. If the dough is too dry to hold together, use the remaining buttermilk, adding 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough is pliable and can be formed into a ball. Stir as little as possible to ensure a light-textured scone.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a lightly flour flat surface. Pat the dough into a ball. Using a well-floured rolling pin, flatten the dough into a circle about 8 inches wide and ½ inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 equal wedges.

Place the scones on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and no longer sticky in the middle.

2 comments:

zmaggiem said...

These are just the very best ever! Not sure the Brits had sausage or pepper jack in mind when they started making scones, but I'm sure even they will love these! I made them for visiting kids and grandkids. Hopefully, my husband and I won't devour them all before they get here! Thanks for sharing!

Donna said...

Thanks so much for your comment from 5 1/2 years ago. I somehow missed this. I have never used this as a true blog, but more of a recipe file, so I am surprised when people find me. I just made these this morning. Comfort food during this social distancing period. It was nice to find your comment. Thanks!